- v. 检查；阻止；核对；买单
- n. 检查；阻碍；支票；账单；方格图案；(国际象棋)将军
- vt. & vi. 检查,核对 examine in order to learn whether sth is correct
- vt. & vi. 阻碍,制止; 抑制 stop, control, or hold back
- [C]检查,核对 an examination to make certain that sth is correct or in good condition
- [S]制止,抑制 (a means of) the prevention of movement or development
a written order directing a bank to pay money;
"he paid all his bills by check"
an appraisal of the state of affairs;
"they made an assay of the contents"
"a check on its dependability under stress"
the bill in a restaurant;
"he asked the waiter for the check"
the state of inactivity following an interruption;
"the negotiations were in arrest"
"held them in check"
"during the halt he got some lunch"
"the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow"
"he spent the entire stop in his seat"
additional proof that something that was believed (some fact or hypothesis or theory) is correct;
"fossils provided further confirmation of the evolutionary theory"
the act of inspecting or verifying;
"they made a check of their equipment"
"the pilot ran through the check-out procedure"
a mark indicating that something has been noted or completed etc.;
"as he called the role he put a check mark by each student's name"
something immaterial that interferes with or delays action or progress
a mark left after a small piece has been chopped or broken off of something
a textile pattern of squares or crossed lines (resembling a checkerboard);
"she wore a skirt with checks"
the act of restraining power or action or limiting excess;
"his common sense is a bridle to his quick temper"
obstructing an opponent in ice hockey
(chess) a direct attack on an opponent's king
examine so as to determine accuracy, quality, or condition;
"check the brakes"
"Check out the engine"
make an examination or investigation;
"check into the rumor"
"check the time of the class"
be careful or certain to do something; make certain of something;
"He verified that the valves were closed"
"See that the curtains are closed"
"control the quality of the product"
lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits;
"moderate your alcohol intake"
"hold your tongue"
"hold your temper"
"control your anger"
stop for a moment, as if out of uncertainty or caution;
"She checked for an instant and missed a step"
put a check mark on or near or next to;
"Please check each name on the list"
"tick off the items"
"mark off the units"
slow the growth or development of;
"The brain damage will retard the child's language development"
be verified or confirmed; pass inspection;
"These stories don't check!"
be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics;
"The two stories don't agree in many details"
"The handwriting checks with the signature on the check"
"The suspect's fingerprints don't match those on the gun"
block or impede (a player from the opposing team) in ice hockey
develop (children's) behavior by instruction and practice; especially to teach self-control;
"Parents must discipline their children"
"Is this dog trained?"
consign for shipment on a vehicle;
"check your luggage before boarding"
hand over something to somebody as for temporary safekeeping;
"Check your coat at the door"
abandon the intended prey, turn, and pursue an inferior prey
stop in a chase especially when scent is lost;
"The dog checked"
mark into squares or draw squares on; draw crossed lines on
decline to initiate betting
hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of;
"Arrest the downward trend"
"Check the growth of communism in South East Asia"
"Contain the rebel movement"
"Turn back the tide of communism"
place into check;
"He checked my kings"
write out a check on a bank account
find out, learn, or determine with certainty, usually by making an inquiry or other effort;
"I want to see whether she speaks French"
"See whether it works"
"find out if he speaks Russian"
"Check whether the train leaves on time"
verify by consulting a source or authority;
"check the spelling of this word"
"check your facts"
arrest the motion (of something) abruptly;
"He checked the flow of water by shutting off the main valve"
make cracks or chinks in;
"The heat checked the paint"
become fractured; break or crack on the surface only;
"The glass cracked when it was heated"
- Do look out for spelling mistakes when you check your homework.
- We had to check this tendency for administrative reasons.
- Please check the date.
- We conduct regular check on the quality of our products.
- Heavy rains were a check on the army's advance.
- Can you cash me the check?
- Would you please bring us our check?
- She is wearing a check skirt.
- The young Muscovite must have overlooked this intermediate check.
- The king does not move to a square that is attacked by an enemy piece during the castling move, i.e., you may not castle and end the move with the king in check.
- The accounts check.
- The horse checked before he jumped.
- She checked for a moment in the dance and missed a step.
- She went forward a few yards, checked and turned back.
- Check to see if the students have memorized the dialogue.
- We were checking to see what's wrong.
- Let me check your heart.
- Please check the broken light switch.
- They examined my passport, checked the photo and then returned it to me.
- Check your bicycle brakes before you ride.
- The ship stopped in Shanghai to check the damage.
- We must check the accuracy of his statements.
- They built a great shelter-belt to check sandstorms.
- We must check the enemies before they advance further.
- He tries to check himself before the guests.
- He was about to open his lips, but he checked himself.
- He was about to say something, but checked himself and turned away.
- We should check our complacency and constantly criticize our shortcomings.
- Have you checked all your luggage?
- I checked my trunk to my hometown.
- We have all been medically checked.
- Every part is individually checked before assembly.
- Let us send the finished products to the head of the workshop to be checked.
- The results have been carefully checked and compared.
- These figures must be checked carefully.
- The reports were still being checked.
- Such behaviour should be checked.
- The advance was checked by the river.
- I will check that he does not cheat me.
- I will check that everything is done.
- I think I remembered to switch the oven off, but you'd better check that I did it.
- I forgot to check whether I had anything else to attend to.
- Don't forget to check if〔whether〕 the door is locked.
- They gave the car a thorough check before setting out on their journey.
- The police are running a check on everyone who was at the party.
- You'll have to keep a check on the oil—there's a leak in the tank.
- The teacher made his routine check on the children's homework.
- They made frequent checks on his respiration, pulse and blood.
- The river acted as a check on the army's advance.
- “I was wrong to blow up like that.I must learn to keep a better check on my temper again.”he said.
- The outbreak of the war gave a sudden check to the sculptor's work.
- The message gave a check to our plan.
- check against (v.+prep.)
check sth against sth
Please check the copy against the original.
He checked the drawing against actual conditions.
Check your exercises against the key after finishing them.
- check back (v.+adv.)
- check for (v.+prep.)
检查 inspect, examine
check for sth
The teacher checks for pronunciation and intonation.
- check in (v.+adv.)
You go and check in while I pay the taxi driver money.
If you want to stay at a hotel, you have to check in.
How many delegates have checked in at the convention?
大会已有多少代表报到?check sth ⇔ in
You can check your suitcases in at the desk.
你可以把手提箱交给服务台看管。check sth ⇔ in
I'm just going to check in these books at the library.
The students put the books on the library desk, and the librarian checked them in.
The coach checked in the football uniforms at end of the school year.
Records were checked in and verified.
He checked in only this morning.
- check into (v.+prep.)
- check off (v.+adv.)
〈非正〉下班 go off duty
check sth ⇔ off
He checked their names off as they went aboard the plane.
在他们登上飞机时,他登记上了他们的姓名。check sb/sth ⇔ off
The teacher checked off each pupil as he got on the bus.
A polite young lady came round checking off the guests one by one.
They checked off all the items in the inventory one by one.
The list has yet to be checked off.
这张表还得核对。check sth ⇔ off
After considering all five possibilities, we checked off the second one.
考虑了所有的五种可能以后,我们把第二种可能排除掉了。check sth ⇔ off
Jim's dues were checked off every week.
He checked off at 5 p.m.
- check on1 (v.+adv.)
上班 start work, especially at a regular time
When do you check on for your night-shift?
- check on2 (v.+prep.)
查对,核实,检查 inspect, verify
check on sb/sth
The judge decided to check on the prisoners.
We have to check on him before we consider his application.
Will you check on the time the train leaves?
Grandfather went to have the doctor check on his health.
He often comes here to check on my progress.
他常常来这里看看我的进步情况。check on wh-clause
We're checking on how their food was.
How can you check on whether it will rain that day?
- check out (v.+adv.)
计价收款 itemize and reckon up the total cost of and receive payment for (outgoing merchandise)
Does his story check out?
他的叙述查实了吗?check sth ⇔ out
The accountant checked out the bills and found them OK.
They checked out all the goods in the store.
We'd better check the whole place out in case it's been bugged.
When all the instruments had been checked out, the pilot signaled that he was ready for take-off.
He checked out from the hotel early in the morning.
We loaded the car while father checked out at the desk.
He checked out last night, and left no forwarding address.
他昨晚离开,而没有留下通讯地址。check sth ⇔ out
I'm just going to check this book out of the library.
She checked out 300 yuan from the bank yesterday to buy a TV set.
The airline has checked their luggage out.
Look at the other list and see if the names check out.
What he said about the incident checked out with the facts.
The trainee checked out all right on his first flight.
Those trainees checked out all right in the final exam.
She could not have checked out at ten minutes to nine.
When Moore checked out, Pearson was appointed his successor.
穆尔离职后,皮尔逊被委为继任人。check sb/sth ⇔ out
We checked them out this morning.
今天早上我们使他们离开这里。check sth ⇔ out
Gilbert is employed to check out groceries in a supermarket, and his sister Ellen to check out cleaned suits in a dry cleaning shop.
- check over (v.+adv.)
核对; 仔细检查 inspect carefully
check sth ⇔ over
Check the manuscript over carefully before passing it to the typist.
The engineers will check over the plane before it leaves.
- check through (v.+adv.)
检查; 核对,校订 inspect; read and look for errors in
check sth ⇔ through
Have you checked these figures through?
Please check through the laundry and then put it away.
Please check through this list of reference books which we are going to order.
Has the account been checked through?
- check up (v.+adv.)
调查; 检查 investigate; examine
We checked up and found that everything was all right.
We will check up as soon as possible and let you know the result.
我们将尽快进行调查,并把结果通知你。check sb/sth ⇔ up
She asked the doctor to check her up.
We're going to check up his record.
You must check the facts up before you write your report.
Will you please check up these data to see if they are correct?
- check with (v.+prep.)
- hold〔keep〕 in check
抑制,约束; 制止 prevent sth from advancing or increasing; control sth
hold〔keep〕 sb/sth in cheek
The police tried to hold the angry crowd in check.
The Prime Minister had not conquered inflation but he had held it in check.
We've kept the disease in check for a year now.
The epidemic was held in check by widespread vaccination.
- check a horse 勒马
- check a thing 托运〔查看〕〔核对〕某物
- check extravagant spending 制止过度的花费
- check a gauge 校验仪表
- check inflation 制止通货膨胀
- check one's answers 检查答案
- check sample 核对样品
- check test 对照试验
- check the civil war 制止内战
- check the enemy advance 阻止敌人前进
- check the enemy attack 抵挡敌人攻击
- check the expansion 制止扩张
- check the spread of the disease 制止疾病蔓延
- check these figures 核对这些数目
- check absolutely 彻底检查
- check accurately 准确检查
- check cleverly 聪明地检查
- check effectively 有效地制止
- check fortunately 幸运地制止
- check perceptibly 察觉到地制止
- check powerfully 强有力地制止
- check systematically 有系统地检查
- check in 报到,到达,登记接收(归还物品)
- check in at a hotel 住旅馆
- check off 查讫,核对
- check off these parcels 把这些包裹验讫
- check out 检验,查核,取出(钱等),借出(书等)
- check out all the instruments 检验所有的仪器
- check over 查检,核对
- check through 检查,核对
- check through the files 查阅档案
- check it by the original 拿原文核对
- check for tightness 紧密度检验
- check into 调查…,登记入住…
- check into a hotel 登记住进旅馆
- check into sb's story 调查某人的说法
- check on 核实…
- check on sb's story 核实某人所说的话
- check out of 从…借,结账离开…
- check out of the hotel 结账后离开旅馆
- check the book out of the library 从图书馆借了这本书
- check through to 把…托运到…
- check up 检查,核对,清点
- check up one's record 核对记录
- check up with this 与这个相符
- under proper checks and restraints 在适当的控制之下
Thy bastard shall be king, That thou mayst be a queen and check the world.出自：King John , Shakespeare
'No audience..is going to trust a man whose wife takes a leap.' 'Check.'出自： N. Mailer
- 在美式英语中, check可以作“寄存,托运”解，这种说法在英国极为少用。
- check的宾语后面接介词against,表示“与…对照而检查”“跟…核对”; 后接into表示“调查”; 接to,表示“将…托运至…”; 接in,表示“签到,报到; 交运,寄存(行李)”; 接off,表示“经核查无误而在…上作记号; 不再考虑”; 接with,表示“协商”(介词宾语为人); 表示“相符; 核对”(介词宾语为事或物); 接out,表示“付账离开旅馆等; 核对; 合格; 取或借; 死”; 接on〔up〕表示“调查; 核对”。
- check还可作“制止,抑制”解,它既可用作单数名词与冠词a连用,也可用作不可数名词,如 in check。
- 在美式英语中, check还可作“支票”解,是可数名词。
- check作及物动词时，词组check up指“查核”，而check作不及物动词时，表示“查核”用check up on；
check with指“跟……符合”，check up with指“和……符合”。
The reprint checks up with the original.
- examination of check up在美国指“全身检查”，而英国人一般用physical overhaul。
- check, control
- check指“止住”; 而control指“控制”在一定程度,而不一定“止住”。试比较:
- He checked himself.
- He controlled himself.
- 他控制住自己。 (仍然可以较和缓地回答)
- check, arrest, stop
- 这三个词均可表示“阻止”,其区别在于:stop是一般用语,指使任何一种前进或运动事物的停止; arrest指有力地阻止,通常指有意识的行动; check指突然或有力地阻止,有时也指短暂地阻止。例如:
- A driver uses brakes to arrest his car's speed.司机用刹车降低车速。
- An awning over the sidewalk checked his fall.人行道上的天篷阻止了他的跌落。
- ☆ 14世纪初期进入英语，直接源自古法语的eschequier，意为下棋时将一次军；最初源自波斯语的shah，意为国王。