- 致以（问候），给予（注意） ，进行（访问）
- vt. & vi. 付给; 付款 give sb money for goods, services, etc.
- vt. 给予 give, e.g. attention, respect, etc. to
- [U]工资 money received for work
something that remunerates;
"wages were paid by check"
"he wasted his pay on drink"
"they saved a quarter of all their earnings"
give money, usually in exchange for goods or services;
"I paid four dollars for this sandwich"
"Pay the waitress, please"
convey, as of a compliment, regards, attention, etc.; bestow;
"Don't pay him any mind"
"give the orders"
"Give him my best regards"
cancel or discharge a debt;
"pay up, please!"
"How much does this savings certificate pay annually?"
do or give something to somebody in return;
"Does she pay you for the work you are doing?"
"give thought to"
"give priority to"
"pay attention to"
be worth it;
"It pays to go through the trouble"
"pay a visit"
"pay a call"
bear (a cost or penalty), in recompense for some action;
"You'll pay for this!"
"She had to pay the penalty for speaking out rashly"
"You'll pay for this opinion later"
make a compensation for;
"a favor that cannot be paid back"
discharge or settle;
"pay a debt"
"pay an obligation"
- I'd like to pay with my credit card.
- My firm pays well.
- Let me pay for dinner.
- You've got to be able to make your business pay well.
- It would probably pay you to hire an accountant.
- They will pay for their arrogance!
- He'll have to pay for what he has done.
- He doesn't like that job, but the pay is good.
- The workers in our pay work very hard.
- This is a pay telephone.
- There is a pay streak here.
- This job pays well.
- How much did you pay?
- The shop will give a discount of ten percent as long as you don't want credit but pay in cash.
- He says that sheep farming doesn't pay.
- The shop closed because it didn't pay.
- It pays to advertise.
- It pays to follow his advice.
- It always pays to give your paper one final check.
- I haven't paid my tailor yet.
- Have you paid the milkman this month?
- Our trade union paid my train fare.
- The patients pay only a tiny registration fee and the cost of meals while in the hospital.
- That's a beautiful leather jacket, but I can't afford to pay that much.
- He ought to pay his share.
- He ought to pay the rent.
- He has paid his taxes.
- The bank pays interest of 9％ on savings.
- Have you paid what you owe him yet?
- The teacher told the student to pay attention to his spelling.
- You must pay attention to what you are doing. You should not let your thoughts wander.
- If you had paid attention to what he said, you could have avoided repeating such a bad mistake.
- The smallest detail has never been paid attention to.
- It was obvious that the matter had never been paid attention to.
- Pay attention to me, children,I shall not repeat these instructions.
- You will have to pay more attention to your work if you wish to get a rise.
- She was careless, and didn't pay slightest attention to the detail.
- She wasted many materials owing to mismanagement, so now she must pay the piper.
- He who pays the piper calls the song.
- A considerate leader should always pay respects to his employees' wishes.
- Citizens lit torches along the railroad track to pay their last respects to Lincoln.
- Mr. Macheod has paid tribute to Dr. Bandas' desire that the tension should be lowered.
- He fought against the robber and protected the public property.We must pay tribute to his great courage.
- Many overseas Chinese donated money to last year's flood victims.I want to take this opportunity to pay a public tribute to them.
- Many conquered nations had to pay tribute to the rulers of ancient Rome.
- We had to offer our new cook a large salary, but he was a capable man, and paid his way.
- He paid his way by acting as a guide.
- The big truck paid its way from the start.
- The corner shop is convenient if you forget to get something in town, although you pay through the nose for anything you buy there.
- I wouldn't climb to the top of that ladder, even if you paid me.
- I am not well paid here.
- We are paid by day.
- She complained about her husband's job and how poorly it was paid.
- No attention was paid to his remark.
- We refused to pay them their wages.
- I'll pay you a visit next week.
- He paid China a friendly visit from March 16 to 23.
- Every time I went back to my hometown I would pay the middle school teachers my visit.
- You are paid your portion not later than a week.
- I've come to pay my respects to you.
- She stopped paying her dues to the union.
- He was named Minister for Information and would pay a visit to Canada this summer.
- It is a tradition in China that on big occasions the young generation should pay a visit to the old.
- I'm looking forward to paying a call to you next week.
- You may pay me to type the proper forms.
- He paid the money back promptly.
- Soon after he left school, he paid all his debt off.
- His pay goes up every year.
- The workers declared for the offer of increased pay and holidays.
- The workers banded together against the employers' position on their pay.
- He got an increase in pay.
- The workers went on strike for higher pay.
- The machinists wanted more pay for running new machines.
- The monthly pay was eighty dollars, for officer and man alike.
- My heart aches for you!
- The trade unions bargained away their rights in exchange for a small pay raise.
- pay back (v.+adv.)
报复take revenge on
- pay down (v.+adv.)
即时支付,付定金,先付部分款give partial payment at the time of purchase and agree to pay the rest installments
pay sth ⇔ down
How much did you have to pay down on the car?
- pay for (v.+prep.)
替某人付款 give money to sb for sb
pay for sth
How much did you pay for the book?
I haven't paid yet for this suit.
You pay for it at the time you order it.
I pay weekly for my board and lodging.
We got to the hotel, and I paid for the taxi.
我们到了旅馆,我付了出租汽车费。pay sb/sth for sth
I have to pay 150 yuan for the sewing machine.
He was promptly paid for it.
他为那事立即得到报酬。pay for sth
Let me pay for the broken window.
我来赔打破的玻璃窗的费用。pay for sth
You'll have to pay for your crime.
He paid dearly for his mistake.
He paid for his negligence by losing his job.
Loss of health is too high a price to pay for success in your studies.
为了学习上有成就而搞坏身体,代价太高了。pay for sb
I'll pay for her, and you'll pay yourself.
- pay in (v.+adv.)
把钱(支票)存入银行make a deposit with a bank or pay cheque into the bank
pay sth ⇔ in
Subscriptions to these magazines can be paid in at the post office.
- pay into (v.+prep.)
把钱(支票)存入银行make a deposit with a bank or pay cheque into the bank
pay sth into sth
Please pay this sum into my wife's account.
His monthly salary is paid into the bank by his employer.
- pay off (v.+adv.)
The gamble paid off.
The investor believes that his investment will pay off handsomely soon.
His patience and hard work finally paid off with a gold medal.
It has been rather costly to install the machine, but it should pay off in the long run.
安装这台机器是相当昂贵的,但长远来看是合算的。pay sth ⇔ off
It's a good feeling to pay off the house after all these years.
Once we have paid off the store, we shall not owe money to any one.
All his debt was paid off with cash.
他所有的债务都是用现金付清的。pay sb ⇔ off
They are usually paid off at weekends.
他们一般在周末领工资。pay sb ⇔ off
When the building was completed, he paid off the labourers.
The hired hands were paid off at the end of the harvest season.
It is expected that another twenty of their employees will be paid off before long.
预料他们另有20名雇员不久将遭解雇。pay sb ⇔ off
The shop owner paid off the robbers so that they didn't wreck his shop.
We had to pay off the man who got us the contract, with 15% of the profit.
Did your daring plan pay off?
- pay out (v.+adv.)
When one buys something on hire purchase, one has to pay out each month.
如果按照分期付款购买东西,得每月付款。pay sth ⇔ out
When you move into a house you really have to start paying out money.
The bank pays out interest on its savings accounts every six months.
该银行每六个月结算一次利息。pay sth ⇔ out
John was paid out for the trick he played on James.
- pay up (v.+adv.)
全部还清,付清pay in full
My goods were lost in the fire and the insurance company will have to pay up.
我的货在大火中烧毁了,保险公司将不得不赔偿。pay sth ⇔ up
Every club member must pay up his membership money before the end of the season.
- in the pay of
受…雇用 employed by sb secretly
- pay a bill 付账
- pay a deposit 付押金
- pay a price 付出代价
- pay a visit 访问
- pay an account 付账
- pay cash 付现款
- pay debt 还债
- pay dues 缴纳会费
- pay duties 付关税
- pay homage 向…致敬
- pay interest 付利息
- pay money 付款
- pay one's membership dues 缴纳会费
- pay one's tailor 付款给裁缝
- pay sb's wages 付某人工资
- pay the doctor 酬谢医生
- pay the fee 缴会费
- pay the penalty 缴纳罚金,受罚
- pay the rent 付房租
- pay the taxes 付税金
- pay the train fare 支付火车票费用
- pay adequately 充分地给予
- pay annoyingly 愤怒地给予
- pay annually 每年一次地给予
- pay cheerfully 兴高采烈地给予
- pay conscientiously 诚心诚意地给予
- pay courteously 有礼貌地给予
- pay curiously 不寻常地给予
- pay deliberately 有意地给予
- pay eagerly 热心地给予
- pay exorbitantly 极其过分地给予
- pay extemporaneously 临时给予
- pay fairly 公平地给予
- pay freely 随意给予
- pay grudgingly 勉强给予
- pay handsomely 付钱慷慨,给钱很多
- pay heavily 重重给予
- pay highly 付钱慷慨,给钱很多
- pay incautiously 轻易给予
- pay incessantly 不断给予
- pay indiscriminately 不加区分地给予
- pay ingeniously 巧妙地给予
- pay irrelevantly 不相关地给予
- pay logically 情理之中地给予
- pay moderately 适度地给予
- pay morally 有道德地给予
- pay punctually 准时给予
- pay regularly 定期地给予
- pay reluctantly 勉强给予
- pay roundly 严厉地给予
- pay selectively 有选择地给予
- pay seriously 严肃地给予
- pay unanimously 一致给予
- pay unconditionally 无条件给予
- pay unhappily 不愉快地给予
- pay unhesitatingly 毫不犹豫地给予
- pay unkindly 非善意地给予
- pay unnecessarily 不必要地给予
- pay unreservedly 爽快地给予
- pay untimely 过早地给予
- pay away 付掉
- pay back 偿还,报答,向…报复
- pay back debt 付清欠债
- pay down 用现金支付,当场支付
- pay down debt 即时付清欠债
- pay off 付清,偿清
- pay off loan 还清贷款
- pay sb off without notice 未事先通知就解雇某人
- pay out 付出,对(某人)进行报复
- pay up 全部付清
- pay up debt 付清欠债
- pay at rate 按利率支付
- pay by check 用支票支付
- pay by installments 分期付款
- pay by year 拿年薪
- pay for articles 付货款
- pay for book 付书款
- pay for education 支付某人的教育费用
- pay in advance 预付
- pay in cash 以现款支付
- pay in full 全部付清
- pay in instalments 分期付款
- pay in kind 以实物支付
- pay in money 付现款
- pay into 存入…(账户)
- pay into pension fund 把钱交入退休基金
- pay on delivery 货到付款
- accept pay 接受薪水
- advance pay 预支薪水
- affect pay 影响工资
- attach pay 扣发薪金
- attain pay 取得薪金
- back pay 欠薪
- boost pay 提高工资
- collect pay 领工资
- cut down pay 削减工资,降低工资
- deduct pay 扣发工资
- distribute pay 分发工资
- dock sb's pay 扣(减)某人的工资
- draw pay 支领薪水
- earn a pay 挣工资
- freeze pay 冻结工资
- get pay 得到工资
- increase pay 增加薪水
- live on pay 靠薪金收入生活
- make pay 挣工资
- negotiate pay 协商薪金的数目
- offer pay 提供薪水
- pay out the pay 发薪水
- pull down pay 拿薪水
- pull in pay 拿薪水
- raise pay 加薪
- receive pay 支领薪水
- reduce pay 减少工资
- refuse pay 拒收工资
- seek higher pay 想得到更高的工资
- stop pay 停发工资
- take pay 领工资
- adequate pay 足够的工资
- annual pay 年薪
- average pay 平均工资
- bad pay 低微的工资
- basic pay 基本工资
- daily pay 日薪,日工资
- decent pay 相当不错的工资
- double pay 双倍的工资
- fair pay 相当金额的工资
- fixed pay 固定工资
- floating pay 浮动工资
- good pay 高薪
- high pay 高薪
- living pay 能维持普通家庭生活的工资,最低生活工资
- low pay 低薪,低工资
- lucrative pay 容易赚的工资
- maximum pay 法定最高限度工资
- meager pay 微薄的工资
- minimum pay 法定最低限度工资
- net pay 净得工资
- nominal pay 名义工资
- poor pay 微薄的工资
- real pay 实际工资
- reasonable pay 合理的工资
- regular pay 固定工资
- sick pay 病假津贴
- subsistent pay 维持最低生活的工资
- take-home pay 实得的工资(指扣除税金等的余额)
- weekly pay 周薪,周工资
- at pay 付款
- for pay 为了报酬
- in pay of 豢养下的,…御用下的,被…收买的
- on pay 领薪
- under pay 由谁付酬
- with pay 带薪
- without pay 无酬的,名誉的
- pay for 用于…的酬金
With statutory incomes controls abolished, both consultants and GPs were getting restive about their pay.出自： B. Castle
Jones certainly earned his pay.出自：Jazz Blues
She must have been receiving wages from some source for he paid her none.出自： G. Greene
'Have them on me,' she said, when we tried to pay her.出自： B. Trapido
A three-year contract that will pay him $16.25 million.出自：Sporting News
- pay既可用作及物动词,也可用作不及物动词。用作不及物动词时,多作“合算,值得”解; 用作及物动词时,其搭配范围比较窄,主语只能是人,宾语常是人、钱或账单,而不能是其他物品,如果其客体是物品,则须用for引导。可用于被动结构。
I will pay for that book.
He paid us to watch his house.
- 在美国，pay可作形容词，表示“付费的”或是“收费的”，例如pay hospital（收费的医院）和pay patient（付费的病人）；
Their nursing costs are paid by the Government.
- pay bills表示“付帐”，pay homage to a person表示“向某人表示敬意”，pay tribute to a person表示“赞扬某人”。
- pay, pay for
- pay和pay for都表示“付钱”,其区别在于：当表示为所买的东西付钱时,一般用pay for,后面接表示货物的名词; 当表示向某人付款时,一般用pay,后面接表示受款人的名词。例如:
- Will you pay the waiter?你愿意付钱给侍者吗?
- We refused to pay them their wages.我们拒绝付给他们工资。
- I'll pay for my ticket.我将为我的票付款。
- How much did you pay for the book?那本书你付了多少钱?
- pay down, pay up
- He paid $500 down and agreed to pay the rest in monthly installments.他先付500美元,余款答应分月支付。
- If you don't pay up,I'll resort to the law.如果你不全部还清,我就要诉诸法律了。
- pay one's way 自食其力
- pay one's own way 自己付自己的账
- pay attention to,pay one's attentions to
- 两者的意思不同。其区别在于：pay attention to的意思是“注意,留心”, pay one's attentions to的意思则是“向…献殷勤,向…求婚”。后者中的attentions用复数形式,前面还有物主代词, to后接人。例如:
- You should pay more attention to your health.你应多加注意你的身体。
- The newspapers report that at the moment he is paying his attentions to an Italian countess.报纸报道说当时他正在追求一位意大利女伯爵。
- pay, compensate, indemnify, reimburse, remunerate, satisfy
- Many firms compensate their workers if they are hurt at work.许多公司都对工作时受伤的工人给予赔偿。
- I will remunerate you my debt for gratitude.我要报答我对你的感激之情。
- We only hope we can remunerate you for the pleasure you have given us.我们只希望能够报答你给我们带来的快乐。
- He had to satisfy all claims for the damage he had caused.他必须赔偿他造成的所有损失。
- We are never late in satisfying him for his labour.我们从不延误付给他劳动报酬。
- All expenses will be reimbursed to the customer for any loss or damage.一切费用都能给你报销。
- Their former enemies indemnified the victorious nations for the huge loss.战胜国要求战败国交付巨额赔款。
- pay, cost, spend, take
- 1.spend和pay的主语只能是人; cost的主语是物或事; take后接时间时，主语也可以是人。此外，take和cost还可以用动词不定式或动词不定式短语作真实主语,而it为形式主语。例如:
- I paid him $200 for this painting.我付他200美元买了这幅画。
- She spent ten dollars shopping for food.她购买食品花了10美元。
- The work cost me a lot of time and effort.这本著作花费了我大量的时间和精力。
- We took a week to finish the work.我们花了一个星期完成这项工作。
- It costs us a lot of money to build a house.盖房子花了我们很多钱。
- It took me one year to read this book.我用一年时间读了这本书。
- 2.pay的搭配范围最窄,只接金钱; cost的搭配范围最宽,除接金钱和时间外，还可接劳力、精力、财富、健康、职位甚至生命等。例如:
- “Are you paying cash?”“No,I will pay by cheque.”“你付现金吗?”“不,我用支票支付。”
- Careless driving cost him his life.粗心大意地开车使他丧了命。
- 3.spend可接动名词，而cost, pay, take可接动词不定式。
- 4.spend, take, pay都可用于被动结构，而cost不能用于被动结构。
- pay, salary, wages
- He lived on his salary.他靠薪水生活。
- The company pays good salary.这个公司的薪金高。
- His regular salary doesn't come to much, but he gets bonuses too.他的固定薪水并不高,但他还有奖金。
- Her wages are one hundred dollars a week.她的工资为每周100美元。
- He takes his wages home to his wife every Friday.他每星期五把工资带回家交给妻子。
误 He paid for me ten yuan .
正 He paid me ten yuan.
误 The students will pay their respects for the teachers in one way or another before leaving school.
正 The students will pay their respects to the teachers in one way or another before leaving school.晚辈要向长辈们致以问候,这是中国的传统。
误 It is a tradition in China that the young generation should pay their respects for the old.
正 It is a tradition in China that the young generation should pay their respects to the old.
析 pay respect(s)之后接to,不可接for。但 have〔show〕 respect之后可以接to也可以接for。经过十年的辛勤劳动,他们终于还清了债务。
误 After ten years of hard work, they finally paid their debts.
正 After ten years of hard work, they finally paid off their debts.
析 pay off是“还清”的意思。而误句中没有off,只是说“还了债务”。要多加注意你的发音。
误 Much attention should be paid on your pronunciation.
正 Much attention should be paid to your pronunciation.
析 pay attention to为固定词组,表示“注意…”,表此义时不可说pay attention on。你腋下夹的物品已付钱了吗?
误 Have you paid the article under your arm?
正 Have you paid for the article under your arm?我已经为此付了100元。
误 I have paid 100 yuan on it.
正 I have paid 100 yuan for it.
析 “付…的钱”“为…付钱”,要用pay for。我还没付车钱。
误 I haven't paid for the driver yet.
正 I haven't paid the driver yet.
误 Come on.I'll pay you a drink.
正 Come on.I'll buy〔get〕 you a drink.
析 表示“出钱请客人”时不用pay sb sth 结构,应该用buy或get。他上个月借的书还了没有?
误 Did he pay back the book he borrowed last month?
正 Did he return the book he borrowed last month?
误 Very few office workers get a good pay.
正 Very few office workers get good pay.
- ☆ 1200年左右进入英语，直接源自古法语的paiier；最初源自古典拉丁语的pacare，意为取悦，满足。